Frequently Asked Questions

Featured Questions and How to Use the FAQ

Questions and answers are grouped by funding opportunity. All responses are labeled either BHCIPJoint RFA, or Children & Youth. This compilation is updated periodically.

BHCIP Launch Ready Questions

In order to fully execute a BHCIP Program Funding Agreement (PFA), how do we proceed when the awarded project only pertains to a portion of the existing property/structure in place?

BHCIP PFAs require execution of a Declaration of Restrictions (DoR) and Performance Deed of Trust (PDoT) before a sponsor can begin to draw down awarded grant funds. The DoR and PDoT will encumber the entire property where the BHCIP project is located. The following options may be considered by sponsors in instances when the sponsor does not wish to impose certain restrictions on the property as a whole:

A) Non-county entity project sponsor options: (1) Execute the PFA and supporting documents as they are written, encumbering the entire property, and then work with DHCS/AHP to subdivide the property/obtain a lot line adjustment and amend the DoR and DoT once the subdivision/lot line adjustment is complete.

B) County entity project sponsor options: Same options as non-county sponsors with the exception that county entity BHCIP projects may utilize a legal description for the portion of the property to be funded by BHCIP in lieu of a lot line adjustment. This legal description must include a professional land survey map, conducted by a civil engineer who will provide the legal description to be recorded.

For more information on any of the above processes, please contact DHCS/AHP at

Is my project required to conform with CEQA guidelines, or is it exempt?

Applicants should consult with their legal counsel and applicable local agencies regarding the California Welfare and Institutions Code section 5960.3(a)(b)(c). DHCS is not responsible for determining whether an awardee qualifies for CEQA exemption. As per the program funding agreement (contract), the applicant will be responsible for providing copies of all appropriate building permits and/or notice of CEQA exemption, if applicable.

Are we able to get reimbursed for expenses already accrued and paid, such as architectural fees.

“Upon successful execution of Program Funding Agreement, and all required documents and certifications, AHP shall disburse the Program Funds to the Sponsor for the amount of any reasonable, actual, and documented Project specific fees and expenses incurred by the Sponsor on or after June 16, 2022.”

Can a facility based in a correctional setting apply for BHCIP or CCE funds?

No. Correctional settings are not eligible for funding under either BHCIP Round 3: Launch Ready or CCE Capital Expansion funding.

If we are including the costs of property acquisition in our budget, do we need to provide a certified appraisal of the property at this time? Who pays for the certified appraisal?

A certified appraisal of the property is required at the time of the award application if you are using land as the source of your match or if you are acquiring a new property. The certified appraisal must be provided before the grant award is finalized. The cost of the appraisal is the responsibility of the applicant; however, it can be included on the budget as a sunk cost and used as match amount.

Will there be a BHCIP Round 3: Launch Ready Part 2?

DHCS received a total of 148 applications requesting more than $2 billion in Round 3: Launch Ready funding before the Part 1 deadline and will share award announcements in June. DHCS has closed the application portal for Round 3 due to the response received in Part 1. There will not be a BHCIP Round 3: Launch Ready Part 2 application process. Prospective applicants are encouraged to visit Grants – BHCIP ( for information regarding future BHCIP funding opportunities.

Will AHP be providing feedback to applicants on their BHCIP Round 3 part 1 applications? If so, what is the timeline for providing feedback?

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide individual feedback on applications.

What counts as matching funds?

Match in the form of cash and in-kind contributions—such as equity amount in land and existing structures—to the real costs previously incurred by the project will be allowed. Cash is the strongest form of match. The state must approve all match sources.

Cash match may come from:

“In-kind” match may be in the form of:

  • Property ownership equity amount at the specific grant project site. Property equity is determined by a recent certified appraisal value (within 6 months of application), subtracted by the outstanding loan amount (bank loan information documents required) will equal match value of property equity.
    • The equation to calculate equity for match is: certified appraisal value – outstanding loan amount = equity value
  • Sunk costs directly related to the development project, with documentation of paid invoices for professional services related to pre-development of the specific grant application, as approved on a case-by-case basis by the state

All “in-kind” amounts must be well documented and notarized, and will be thoroughly reviewed by the state. In-kind valuations may or may not be approved by the state. Therefore, cash is the preferred form of match.

Direct state General Funds may not be used to match BHCIP or CCE funding. Services will not count as match.

Are facilities that provide Short-Doyle mental health services eligible for BHCIP funding? Our facility serves individuals who may not be able to be on Medi-Cal because of immigration status, for example.

Please ensure your facility is on the list of eligible facilities listed in the RFA. Eligible facilities must also provide behavioral health Medi-Cal services and have a contract with their county. Counties and providers currently utilize the Short-Doyle data system as the billing system for Medi-Cal behavioral health services. Also please review the general DHCS Medi-Cal eligibility requirements for undocumented individuals.